At the University of Houston, I took a user experience class that had a research and report component for a final project. We were put into teams of 4 and had to come up with a startup idea or find a company to work with. A problem that came up a nonprofit turned out to be a good fit for a start up idea around tracking and reporting volunteer hours from the nonprofit’s side. Lots of web applications exist to do this, but they all suffer from complaints a bad user interface and high prices.
For this course, we spent our time researching existing solutions, talking to nonprofit management and volunteers, and wireframing and sketching interfaces to test with them. This report was the result of our research.